photo KaKiJoKoJa_zps6827954d.gif
Karsyn's Kickass Jocoserious, Kooky, Jannock book blog: End of the Year Bookish Survey 2018

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

End of the Year Bookish Survey 2018



Hosted by Perpetual Page Turner

If you've filled out the survey, please leave me a link, I'd love to come visit you! :)

Number Of Books You Read:

252

I actually read less than I had planned for this year. Once again, gaming got in the way. I played various things through the year and at Black Friday finally got a PS4. So with that, I was playing Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Spiderman to end the year.

In Numbers (because I get asked if I only read short stories/comics) :
1 book was 2,202 pages
 5 books were 600 - 750 pages
 29 books were 400 - 599 pages
 92 books were 300 - 399 pages
 53 books were 200 - 299 pages
 49 books were 100 - 199 pages
23 books were under 99 pages


Number of Re-Reads:

13



Genre You Read The Most From:

Science Fiction / Fantasy



 Best in Books 2018

*** New to me Books only, no re-reads as answers ***
All Covers link back to GoodReads



1. Best Book You Read In 2018?

Best Book of 2018 was actually 3 books, the start of a series. I LOVED THESE BOOKS!! I loved them so much, I re-read the 1st one only about 2 months after reading it the first time and I've never done that. I've skimmed it another time as well. These books were so great, full of heart and just awesome!! The narration is great!  Love them!




2. Book You Were Excited About and Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I was quite excited about this book, it looked so good to me, but the characters were AWFUL. They were unbelievable and many were unlikable. Plus the bad guy was super obvious. It was a huge disappointment.





3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
I'm gonna have to say the Bobiverse series for this, which I may use these books a lot. I heard a lot about the books and that they were super good but I wasn't prepared for just how much I would love the books. They were so fun and so good.


4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I don't think I pushed any books on anyone this year really, beyond my recommendations for Reddit. I suppose I'd have to say the Bobiverse books again as my 2 favorite people both read the first book because I recommended it.


5. Best series you started in 2018?
Bobiverse, though If the Iron Druid books had been better for books 5-9, I would have said those, but I really didn't enjoy the last several books as much as the first few.


Best Sequel of 2018?
Definitely Nyxia Unleased. I really looked forward to it and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one just as much!



 Best Series Ender of 2018?

I didn't read many series enders, only 3 all year, everything else is still continuing, even Bobiverse which I initially thought was just a trilogy. So for best series ender I have to say Escape, the 2nd of a duology. It was the highest rated of the enders that I read. Cute books.





6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?
I'd have to say Rachel Aaron. As much as I loved the Bobiverse books that's the only thing I read by Dennis Taylor. I started two series by Rachel and enjoyed them both. I definitely want to read more from her.


7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don't have a comfort zone anymore. I read whatever sounds good to me, so nothing on my list really. But I'm still not too keen on Non-Fiction, if I finish up my one book I'll have read 3 non-fiction this year, that might be a record. How I Killed Pluto was my favorite, though I did also love As You Wish by Cary Elwes as well.


8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I'm gonna go with my answer from last year and say that MOST of what I read is action-packed, thrilling and unputdownable. Those are the best kinds of books!! That being said, just because something isn't action packed, doesn't mean it's not unputdownable, so I'm gonna break this up into three, because I can.



Action-packed:
The reason Matthew Reilly is my favorite author is for his over-the-top and non-stop action. The newest book in the Jack West series didn't disappoint and OMG so many moments that were more than action. Loved this book, and want the next. Really looking forward to Reilly's time travel book, coming out in March. I'm hopeful I'll get my hands on it early. My favorite author and my favorite genre, could anything be better?




Thrilling:

Though I was disappointed in the direction that the later books of the series went (mainly not focused on Atticus, instead giving the stories of 2 others as well) I'd have to say the first 5 books of this series. It was so good to start off with, and the last 4 weren't bad, I just wanted an Atticus only focus as I didn't care for the other two characters. But still, a fun series and Oberon was a hoot!




Unputdownable:
Going to go with the Murderbot Diaries for this one. I flew through these books. They are novellas but still, I would have flew through them if they were full length. Murderbot is a great character and I loved the books. Looking forward to the next and thrilled it's gonna be full length and not just a novella.





9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Bobiverse, definitely. I wish I had re-read the 2nd and 3rd books already. I will probably re-read them early in the year then re-read all three before the new one comes out. Can't wait!



10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?
Well, I'll always be partial to The Night Circus cover, but my favorite new-to-me book cover would have to be Everless.


11. Most memorable character of 2018?
Oberon from the Iron Druid series and Bob(s) from the Bobiverse series




12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
Starting to get into the questions I don't like. I read mainly books where people are shooting each other and killing each other. I like ACTION, not typically known to be beautifully written, but I love them. The Night Circus is still the most beautifully written book I've read since 2011. So, my is not what most people would think beautiful I guess, but I love the world of The Land and this book, at an amazing 2,202 pages never let up throughout. It was just wonderful.




13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?
UGH! None! I don't read thought-provoking or Life-Changing books. Blech!! Though I read two non-fiction books they certainly were't thought-provoking or life-changing. I don't read to get enlightened, I read for the fun of it. (Keeping this perfect answer from last year, because it's the same and likely always will be.)


14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read?
None really. Most of what I read was new to my TBR for 2018, I read a lot that I came across in the year, so there wasn't anything that I just had sitting around and can't believe I didn't read it early.


15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
I didn't focus on quotes this year. Usually I note the depressing ones, but I don't think I noted any this year. That's really good for me.


16.Shortest and Longest Book You Read In 2018?
The shortest (Test of Mettle by Kevin Hearne) was a 10 page short story in the Iron Druid series. I read a lot of short stories and novellas in series that I read this year, it was definitely the year of short stories and novellas, which is unusual for me. But, in contrast, I also read the longest book (The Land: Predators by Aleron Kong) I've ever read at 2,202 pages - according to Amazon. The Hard Cover version is only like 1800 pages, so I think the Kindle version is kind of crap, but that's what it says. Still, long ass book! My average length of books read was 288 pages.



17. Book That Shocked You The Most
I'm not easily shocked. I tend to know what's going on, so I can't think of anything that really really shocked me. I'm not a huge fan of classics, so I guess I'll say that I was most shocked that I liked Stranger in a Strange Land as much as I did. I especially loved the Poly relationships and how accepted they were.






18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
UGH!! I hate these terms. Really really hate. Racks up there with chat speak and other crappy shit of the internet. But since I gotta answer, I'm going to go with Kyla, Jordan and Cassie from His, Hers and Hers. Loved the Poly relationship.


19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Ritcher and Sion definitely, though if she can be considered, I'd Alma (a dragonling) to the mix. Just all three of them are so fun and enjoyable. I love the funny relationship and quips. So enjoyable! (Keeping the same from last year, since I did read a new book in the series and I still love them!)


20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Many!! The Land: Predators by Aleron Kong, Three Secret Cities from Matthew Reilly and bunches more


21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
No one pressures me into anything, I really wanna I wanna read, and nothing that I read this year was solely on recommendations, they all were what I wanted to read. I'd say the Bobiverse books were ones I read after seeing so many glowing recommendations on Reddit about it.


22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?
Ugh. Again! Married woman here. No crushes, at all. Absolutely no one stood out to me this year in my books. If I HAD to pick someone, I'd say Ian Dex from the Ian Dex series by John Logsdon for the pure fact that he's a horndog and so raunchy. Yeah, he'd be fun in bed.



23. Best 2018 debut you read?
I loved The Disasters. As a Poly Bisexual female, I love that Nax's sexuality (bi) was just matter of fact and he was open and honest about it. It almost seemed like he was leaning toward being Poly as well which would have been really great! Loved all the characters of the book, and loved how accepted being Bi was.


24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The Land series by Aleron Kong. Love the world, love the Mist Village.


25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
A bunch. This year I had so few (12 I believe) books I only rated a 1 or 2 stars. I loved so many of what I read this year. So many made me smile and were fun.


26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?

I HATE HATE books that make me cry. I don't do it. I stay away from books that I know will make me cry and I get pissed off when a random one makes me cry. Thankfully, no books made me cry this year. YAY!


27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
I don't read what everyone else reads, so many of my books are Hidden Gems. 90 of the books that I read had less than 1000 reviews! I just don't read the popular stuff / what everyone else is reading. A few that I rated 5 stars that I think are gems are:
  • Minimum Wage Magic by Rachel Aaron (697 reviews)
  • Property of the Rebel Librarian by Allison Varnes (559 reviews)
  • Diego and the Rangers of the Vastlantic by Armand Baltazar (449 reviews)
  • The Disasters by M.K. England (364 reviews - possibly because it's new)
  • Navigating the Stars by Maria V Snyder (358 reviews - it's new)
  • Alfie Bloom and the Secrets of Hexbridge Castle by Gabrielle Kent (317 reviews)
  • Bluff by Michael Kardos (288 reviews)
  • The Continuum by Wendy Nikel (176 reviews)
  • Chase & Escape by Linwood Barclay (290 & 105 reviews)
  • The Big Reveal by Eve Francis (116 reviews)

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? Ergh. I hate this question, so very very much. Not answering this year, don't think there was one, though The Three Secret Cities came close for a bit! :)



29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018? Many. I can't pick just one. I read so much that was good and so much that was unique. If I had to pick, I'd say the Bobiverse books.


30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? I would have to say A Dastardly Plot. I was really looking froward to this book, as it looks right up my alley on the type of MG books I like and it just fell sooooo short. I just was so disappointed and really didn't like the characters at all. Story was great, characters ruined the book.



Book Blogging
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2018?
None. Sorry. My blogging was sadly ignored this year. I hoped to get back more into it, but I didn't, again.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2018?
Sadly, I only did two sets of mini reviews, which was one more than last year. I really gotta get caught up on those NetGalley reviews. Mini Review 1 and Mini Review 2.

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
None really, I didn't post much at all. I suppose my Dewey or Bout of Books Wrap-Ups?

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
None

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2018?
None

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
None

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Well! My last years End of Year Survey was the most viewed post of the year with 120 views. I know, I'm small time. Maybe this years will be the most viewed in 2019. Here's my End of Year 2017 Survey if you'd like to see it too.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
This one. :)

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? None

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Initially I set my year goal at 300 and I didn't meet that. I underestimated how much I'd game this year. :) I lowered it to 250 and ended up the year with 252. :/ At least I read over 250 books, but it was my least amount of books read in a year since 2014. (Pretty much the same answer as last year! At least in 2019, I KNOW I will be gaming more - Kingdom Hearts 3 is FINALLY coming out, so I've only set my goal for this year at 200.)



LOOKING AHEAD to 2019

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?
I don't really have an answer for this. There's no books out that I'm just dying to get to that I didn't. I always read what I want to read when I want to read it.




2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)? 
Most definitely Matt Reilly's time travel!!
I CANNOT WAIT!!!




3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I don't really pay attention to if something is a debut or not. I looked through my to-be-released books and Do You Dream of Terra-Two? is the first one that caught my eye that says is a debut.





4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?




5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Nothing. This year was a good mix of reading and gaming, so it worked out well. I'd like to do more blogging, but I always say that and it just takes up game or book time, like this survey has. I've been working on it hours, because I always put everything into what I do, so blogging just takes up too much time, but I'm going to try more. (Ditto 2018)


6. A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
None, apparently I haven't read any yet, though I do have a few from NetGalley I just haven't gotten around to yet.






No comments:

Post a Comment