photo KaKiJoKoJa_zps6827954d.gif
Karsyn's Kickass Jocoserious, Kooky, Jannock book blog: Book Review ~ Evil Never Dies by T.R. Ragan

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Book Review ~ Evil Never Dies by T.R. Ragan

Finished ~ Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner 06) by T.R. Ragan
Completed 07/03/15
4 of 5 stars
354 page Kindle book
Expected Publication ~ 8/4/15


I received this book from NetGalley for my honest review.

Evil Never Dies is the 6th, and final, book in the Lizzy Gardner series. Though the book could technically be read on its own, I'd definitely recommend the series as a whole so you know all the little touches the book gives of how and why these character are the way they are.

Lizzy Gardner is a P.I. and until recently, has always been on the right side of the law but events have pushed her over the edge and she's ready to take matters into her own hands. She, along with the 2 girls who work for her ~ Hailey and Kitally ~ are ready to serve a little of their own justice to those who are above the law or who escape without punishment because of a technicality.

The story lines follow the Sacramento Strangler who is leaving bodies in his wake and begins to taunt Lizzy as well. They are also investigating a nursing home who they believe may be killing off their patients.

The whole book was really one of the better ones of the series. My only issue with the series as a whole was Lizzy's sister who was such a bitch. She finally grows a pair in this book, leaving her abusive husband finally behind and she isn't QUITE as awful and isn't in it much, thankfully. Hailey continues on her own quest to get lowlifes off the street and there's a new person at the house with them for a while after they find her living on the streets.

The only negatives of this book are some stuff to do with pregnancies, which I don't enjoy reading, and harm coming to a pregnant woman. I will say that all turns out fine. Sorry if that's a spoiler for any of you, but if anyone has the issues I do about reading stuff like that, I'd rather know ahead of time. If things hadn't turned out so well, my rating for this book would have been completely opposite just for that.

It was definitely a good conclusion to the series and I'm disappointed that it's over. It wasn't one of my favorite series ever, but I definitely enjoyed them all and enjoyed the characters a ton. They weren't typical and their need for justice was different than you usually see and I really liked that. Lizzy was REALLY real, everything she felt was palpable. I liked that about her. I agree with her a lot, such as in this passage (she's speaking every other line, starting with the 2nd) ~

"I think it might be helpful for you to talk to someone who has dealt with a traumatic and unexpected loss."

"I think it's a stupid idea."

"Why?"

"People all over the world are dealing with shit worse than mine or hers. She'll never be the same and neither will I. We all just have to keep on moving, get through another day and then another until it's all one big blur again. We all heal in our own way and in our own time. You know that."

"I'll tell her you're not ready to talk to anyone."

"Tell her whatever you want. Tell her I'm sorry for her loss. While you're at it, you might think about telling her the truth."

"And that is?"

"That it might not get any better. That the days get longer and the nights get darker. Her best days could well be over."


Setting = B
Plot = A+
Conflict = A
Characters = B+
Theme = A





No comments:

Post a Comment