photo KaKiJoKoJa_zps6827954d.gif
Karsyn's Kickass Jocoserious, Kooky, Jannock book blog: Book Review: Don't Get Caught by Kurt Dinan

Monday, May 16, 2016

Book Review: Don't Get Caught by Kurt Dinan


The Book:



The Blurb:

10:00 tonight at the water tower. Tell no one. -Chaos Club

When Max receives a mysterious invite from the untraceable, epic prank-pulling Chaos Club, he has to ask: why him? After all, he's Mr. 2.5 GPA, Mr. No Social Life. He's Just Max. And his favorite heist movies have taught him this situation calls for Rule #4: Be suspicious. But it's also his one shot to leave Just Max in the dust...

Yeah, not so much. Max and four fellow students-who also received invites-are standing on the newly defaced water tower when campus security "catches" them. Definitely a setup. And this time, Max has had enough. It's time for Rule #7: Always get payback.

Let the prank war begin.

The Review:

Received from NetGalley for my honest review
Completed April 24, 2016
336 page Kindle ebook

I love any kind of book with games or pranks or competition, so I thought this one would be right up my alley. It was GOOD, but not great. I wasn't overwhelmed by it, it was just GOOD.

Max is ordinary when he receives the invitation and decides to do something daring, for a change. He typically doesn't do anything that would be considered wrong or dangerous but he's tired of playing things safe. Through the book he goes back and forth between doing what is right and doing what is wrong. Most of the time he chooses right, to the annoyance of the others in his group, but occasionally he'll do something he knows he shouldn't.

The pranks are kind of silly for the most part, and not in a good way, but there was one I laughed out loud about (the photo on the field) and that was worth 3 stars on it's own. Comical!

But other than that, I pretty much was kind of bored by the book. It wasn't awful it just didn't knock my socks off like I hoped it would. There were some twists to the book that I saw all but one of them coming and it didn't surprise me either. So it was pretty predictable.

It wasn't a bad book. It was good, just not great. It had a lot of potential but just fell short of the greatness that it could have been. I'd say it's a good read for teens/kids, but maybe not for adults who enjoy YA just because it's a little underwhelming. I was a good freebie, so that's a plus.


Setting = B
Plot = B
Conflict = B
Characters = B
Theme = A


The Rating:



Enjoyable, equally good and ok. (3 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment