photo KaKiJoKoJa_zps6827954d.gif
Karsyn's Kickass Jocoserious, Kooky, Jannock book blog: Book Review ~ The Job by Jove Belle

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Book Review ~ The Job by Jove Belle

Finished ~ The Job by Jove Belle
Completed 9/4
3.5 of 5 stars
264 pages

I received this book from NetGalley for my honest review.

Sera is an FBI agent working undercover and is forced into a heist at a bank in which her ex-girlfriend is the manager. Bullets are flying and Sera has to keep herself, Tor and everyone else safe.


This was my first book by this author, and I would probably try more by her if they sounded good to me. I've read some lesbian erotica (which this is not) and it was all crap. I think this is my first lesbian driven book and I enjoyed it very much, overall.

Sera is a strong woman who is in over her head when her cover is blown. She's trying to figure a way out of it when they arrive at a bank that she has just found out her ex girlfriend is the manager of. Tor is likable at first, harried by another explosion that morning in which she fears a friend got hurt, she dives into the fray of the heist (not a smart move) and is helpful in ways while a burden in others.

The Good ~ The present plot of the heist, once is gets going is pretty action packed. It keeps rolling along and keeps you engaged in what is happening. You are worried for the hostages and wanting the bad guys dead and are waiting for that moment when everything is over and everyone is safe. The points of view go back and forth between Sera and Tor, which works when they are together in the bank, it's awkward before they get to that point.

The Bad ~ there are flashbacks to when Sera and Tor were a couple in college. It's been 11 years since they have seen each other and while it was ok to get this background, I guess, it would have been MUCH better without it. With the present day heist, the pauses to have a flashback just grind the action to a complete halt. It doesn't fit in and it took a really good book and weakened it. Also, once we get the full story of why Sera and Tor broke up, it made me really not like Tor anymore. Almost any other reason than that one would have presented her in a better light. Instead, she's all of a sudden a bitch and I don't care about her nearly as much as I did. That makes the ending pretty much unsatisfactory for me.

Over all, it was a better than enjoyable book. The action was good, Sera as a character was great. Tor was likable for a bit. I think it could have been stronger without the flashbacks, but that's just me. I'm sure other readers would enjoy more this insight into their background and relationship. I recommend it to fans of LGBT books, those who want action in their books and those who like strong female characters.


Setting = A
Plot = B
Conflict = B
Characters = A-
Theme = A






No comments:

Post a Comment