photo KaKiJoKoJa_zps6827954d.gif
Karsyn's Kickass Jocoserious, Kooky, Jannock book blog: Book Review ~ The Immortal Crown by Richelle Mead

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Book Review ~ The Immortal Crown by Richelle Mead

Finished ~ The Immortal Crown (Age of X 02) by Richelle Mead
Completed 6/8
3.5 of 5 stars
389 page eBook

I received this book from NetGalley for my honest review.

The continuing adventure of Justin, a religious investigator and his bodyguard Mae. I'm not sure what it is about this series that grabs me, but it does. It's really an enjoyable read.

Justin investigates religions all over this dystopian world, while super soldier Mae protects him. In this one, they join a friend of Justin's on a mission of a neighboring country in hopes to come to any kind of peace treaty or understanding between the nations. Chaos happens in all kinds of directions.

I'm really not sure what draws me to this series. I read the first and liked it pretty well, and this one has been an admirable follow-up. The series itself is so strange though. Justin works for a government who investigates and shuns any kind of religions, but Justin himself is tangled up with a god. It's all so confusing at time, I find myself asking just what is she trying to say here, but the story keeps me captivated and interested so I keep going back for more.

It's nice to have yet another strong female character that is strong and completely likable. I felt always rooting for her to easily get out of the crazy situations that she intentionally puts herself into. Sometimes it's hard to know if she's just brave or stupid!

The negatives of this book were the secondary characters. Tessa's story in the first book was fine, because Justin rescued her and it fit in, but I didn't care about her then and I definitely didn't care about her now. I didn't feel like she had any kind of story strong enough to tell and I found myself really bored with those parts. It didn't help that the main person she was around, Daphne was completely unlikable. I just felt like the whole Tessa part was really weak and was only used as a filler to make the story longer, like there wasn't enough going on with the other storyline.

Overall, it was an enjoyable story, told well, interesting and a good read. I look forward to see where how the story continues with so many changes.

Setting = A
Plot: main = B+ / secondary (Tessa storyline) = C-
Conflict = B
Theme = A
Characters: main = A+ / secondary (Tessa storyline) = C-





No comments:

Post a Comment