photo KaKiJoKoJa_zps6827954d.gif
Karsyn's Kickass Jocoserious, Kooky, Jannock book blog: Recent Reads ~ Mini Reviews

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Recent Reads ~ Mini Reviews

If you have followed me along, you know that I read a ton in the month of May. I gave reviews on the important ones, and some of the early ones, but then I got caught up and haven't done any others. So, here are my thoughts on some of the books that I read in May.

First, here are the reviews I did earlier this month, if you haven't seen them ~


Dear Killer by Katherine Ewell
Completed 5/13
3 of 5 stars

I have been a little more stingy with my 4s & 5s lately, since I give out so many. So now, really really really good books can be a 3 for me. Dear Killer is really really good. Dear Killer is about a teenage 'murder for hire' killer. She receives letters or notes, about those who someone wants killed, and why. She then decides who to kill, how and when.

The story is definitely different and really interesting. It's hard because you want to like Kit, even though she's a killer. She finds herself in a tough spot, after gliding along easily and makes some decisions she hadn't before, starting to question herself.

The thing that kept this book from being a 4 star was the ending. It was pretty abrupt and a little underwhelming. I wish it had stretched out more and had a different ending. It just felt like a let down, but the rest of the book was quite enjoyable.


The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next 01) by Jasper Fforde
Completed 5/14
2 of 5 stars

No one should take my opinion as their main reason to not read this (as is true of any and all reviews, since they are only 1 person's opinion). I liked Thursday, for the most part, and I liked the story ok. But, unfortunately, I'm not a classics reader and I haven't read any of the books (such as Jane Eyre) that they spoke of in the book. I thought I would still like it, as a book about books, but the story of Jane Eyre was so tightly woven into it, I felt like I was missing a lot and it just wasn't an enjoyable read for me, even though I wanted to like it.

I think fans of classics, and the books that this series talks about would enjoy it a ton!


Sunrise (Ashfall 03) by Mike Mullin
Completed 5/16
3 of 5 stars

This is another really really good 3 for me. This was the last in the Ashfall series, and WOW did a bunch of stuff happen!! I thought it was better than the 2nd book which wasn't quite as enjoyable. This one was action packed with a ton of jaw dropping moments!

Ashfall is a series about Alex who, in the first book, finds himself stranded home alone after a supervolcano erupts. He sets out to find his parents who are in a different state. I won't share any details from Sunrise, as it might give something away for anyone who hasn't started the series. I'll just say, along the way he finds and helps people, is helped himself and his story continues through the 3 books.

Not my favorite series ever, but a really enjoyable series for fans of disaster stories. Mostly good characters and a quite active story.


The Collector by Nora Roberts
Completed 5/25
5 of 5 stars

Another amazing book by Nora Roberts! My favorite of hers is Blue Smoke, but The Collector has taken the number 2 spot, of standalone books anyways.

In The Collector, Lila is a house sitter who witnesses the murder of a woman who lives across from where she is staying. She thinks she knows what happened, but soon finds out that things weren't the way they appeared, and there was a lot more going on than she thought.

Lila meets Ash, who has his own reasons for trying to find out what really happened. They, along with their friends Julie and Luke, start to investigate on their own.

The characters are amazing. You really care about them, and I felt a special fondness for Julie and Luke. Just a wonderful story, great characters and an enjoyable reading experience!


A Series of Unfortunate Events (all 13 books) by Lemony Snicket
Read 5/15 - 5/31
Various 2 & 3 ratings

So, this older popular series wasn't for me. I watched the movie years ago, but never read the books. I was looking up celebrity read audiobooks and found out that Tim Curry did 10 of the 13 audiobooks, so I decided to listen to them. If these were books I was reading during the day, instead of listening to them at night, I wouldn't have kept with this series. As my night time listening, I didn't mind too much.

Overall I found this series tedious and dull. The audio wasn't as good as I was hoping for either. With it being Tim Curry, I thought he'd be amazing, and he was just good. Some of my issues were that I HATE repetitiveness (thanks to my hubby) so certain things, such as Vice Principal Nero from The Austere Academy, drove me bonkers. There was a lot of repetitiveness which drove me nuts and I think it being audio made it worse.

It wasn't an awful series and I'm not ticked off that I kept with them, or I would have not finished, but I didn't love it. I know many do, so again, it's just my opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment