photo KaKiJoKoJa_zps6827954d.gif
Karsyn's Kickass Jocoserious, Kooky, Jannock book blog: TBR List ~ Oct Review ~ Running on Empty & The Shepherd

Saturday, October 25, 2014

TBR List ~ Oct Review ~ Running on Empty & The Shepherd


The To Be Read Meme is hosted by Because Reading is Better Than Real Life. Click for more info!


At the beginning of October, I posted 3 books I was interested in reading, for you all to pick ONE for me to read and review. With this poll, there was a TIE between two of the books, so I read them both. :) Loved them both as well.


Finished ~ Running on Empty (LCR Elite 01) by Christy Reece
Completed 10/21
4 of 5 stars
398 pages

Christy Reece is one of my favorite authors.  I've been reading her "Last Chance Rescue" series for years and have read everything she has ever written.  In Running on Empty, LCR is moving back to the US and there's a new branch called "LCR Elite". 

Sabrina Fox was a trained assassin who wanted to help people instead of all the killing, so she left her former job to go work for LCR.  Her husband was her former trainer and partner and she watches him die in front of her.

Declan Steele isn't dead though.  He was captured and has been tortured and he blames Sabrina.  His goal is to stay alive long enough to find Sabrina and kill her for betraying him. 

This book was fantastic, as Reece's books always are.  It was set over a long period of time so there was a lot going on in the book.  Steele gets rescued, hunts Sabrina down but nothing is as he thought.  In the meantime, LCR Elite is still doing their own rescues and missions so there's constant action and a lot going on in this book.  The only negative about this book was the "bad guy".  I saw it coming but had decided she wouldn't do that, because it was too obvious, but she did, so that stunk.  Other than that, a fantastic enjoyable book.  If you are a fan of romantic suspense, I highly recommend Christy Reece and her LCR books.  She also writes a southern romance (not as enjoyable in my opinion) under the pen name of Ella Grace.


Finished ~ The Shepherd (Shepherd 01) by Ethan Cross
Completed 10/24
4 of 5 stars
328 pages

I love books that feature some kind of game being played out, whether it's virtual reality or in this case, a diabolical game played with a serial killer.  This book, unlike another book I read recently that claimed to be about playing a game, and wasn't, had twisted games in it that the killer wanted his victims to play.

Marcus Williams is a former cop who moves to a small town after inheriting his aunt's farm.  He stumbles across a murder scene, left by a famous serial killer who has been stalking the area, Francis Ackerman Jr.  Ackerman likes to play with his victims before he kills them, offering them a way out if they play his game. 

But behind it all, there's something else going on.  The Shepherd is pulling strings, steering both Ackerman and Marcus to something more.

This book is NUTS!!  There's soooooo much going on.  Ackerman is running around killing people.  Marcus is investigating until he comes across The Shepherd and his plans, then Marcus is pretty much running to save his life and try to figure out what in the world is going on.  The whole book is pretty bizarre with a ton of action and craziness.  Then, the end.  OMG really?!?  So yeah, if you are a fan of murder mystery/suspense, this book might be for you.  It's definitely crazy and I can't wait to try the next book to see what happens and where the series is going.


Thank you to everyone who voted on the TBR Poll for Oct!!  Come back next week to pick out a book from my November choices!  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like two fantastic reads! I am glad you enjoyed them. I didn't really care much for mine..lol.

    My TBR List

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome you enjoyed both of them! I also gave my book for this month 4 stars :). Sorry to hear the bad guy was a bit predictable in Running on Empty, I always hope the author surprises me in cases like that. I'll be back next week for the November month poll! I am really enjoying this meme with the voting and seeing what everyone thought of their book.

    ReplyDelete