photo KaKiJoKoJa_zps6827954d.gif
Karsyn's Kickass Jocoserious, Kooky, Jannock book blog: September Reading Log & Monthly Wrap-Up

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

September Reading Log & Monthly Wrap-Up





This is my September Reading Log for Swap-Bot, as well as a wrap up of things I've posted this month here at KaKiJoKoJa.  First, for my log, I definitely had a nice and slow (for me) September.  It was great after my crazy 57 book August!  I enjoyed the break, I actually played some video games, worked on some swaps and didn't worry about reading like crazy!  :)  I hope you enjoy reading about what I've been reading!


September Reading Log ~ ImzadiRose
New Color Coding  ~  5,  4,  3,  2,  1


September ~

1 ~ The Job by Jove Belle
Completed 9/4
4 of 5 stars
               This was a lesbian based book, which I haven’t read before unless it was erotica.  I enjoyed this one, over all.  I didn’t like that there were flashbacks, it slowed the story.  It was about an undercover cop who is forced to be involved in a bank heist at the bank where her former girlfriend manages.

2 ~ Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire by JKR
Completed 9/6
5 of 5 stars
               Another of my HP re-read, another great one.  I love the series, obviously.  J  It’s weird when I come across those rare people who don’t, or who haven’t read it.

3 ~ Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them by JKR
Completed 9/8
3 of 5 stars
               I haven’t read these Hogwarts collection of books yet, so I decided to take the time to read ‘em.  I’m not a fan of short stories / novellas because I always want more, but for a TBR RaT I did, I read some of each, to get through them.  Fantastic Beasts was an interesting and informative read.

4 ~ Quidditch Through the Ages by JKR
Completed 9/8
3 of 5 stars
               Another good background book, good to learn the history of Quidditch.

5 ~ The Tales of Beedle the Bard by JKR
Completed 9/8
3 of 5 stars
               The neat thing about this was Dumbledore’s thoughts on the stories.

6 ~ Ruse by Kaley Copely
Completed 9/9
1.5 of 5 stars
               I received this erotica from the author for my review.  I didn’t end up reviewing it for her because I hated it.  It was very very juvenile.  I’m definitely NOT a New Adult fan, even if it’s erotica.  NA just doesn’t interest me in any way.

7 ~ Unhinged (Splintered 02) by A.G. Howard
Completed 9/9
2.5 of 5 stars
               I definitely didn’t enjoy this second in the series as much as the first.  The last half of the book was great, but I hated how everyone was lying to each other.  That drives me nuts, even in fiction.

8 ~ Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter 01) by James Carol
Completed 9/10
3 of 5 stars
               Took me a really really long time to get into this book, otherwise it would be a 4 star book.  The last 30% was the best.  A genius former FBI agent travels the globe helping law enforcement find serial killers.

9 ~ Envy (Empty Coffin 01) by Gregg Olsen
Completed 9/11
3.5 of 5 stars
               An interesting, new to me, series.  Hailey and Taylor are twins with a special gift, they can sense and feel things.  A fellow classmate died and they are trying to figure out what happened.  Would have been better if there weren’t some annoying characters!

10 ~ A Touch of Fever (Warehouse 13) by Greg Cox
Completed 9/11
4.5 of 5 stars
               I am a HUGE WH13 fan, and I miss the show.  I read both this book, and some of the WH13 comics.  I LOVED the book, seeing a new Warehouse story.  I wish there was more than just that one.  I miss the show!

11 ~ The Iron Trial by Cassandra Clare & Holly Black
Completed 9/12
3 of 5 stars
               I really was enjoying this book until the end.  I definitely didn’t like the ending though I saw it coming some, but not to the degree that it did.  It was definitely HP-ish, with kids going to a magical school, but there’s just not the same relationships or good people.  It was OK, I don’t know if I would continue with the series.

12 ~ Lucky Day (Jasper Dent 0.1) by Barry Lyga
Completed 9/13
3 of 5 stars
               The Jasper Dent series is about Jasper who is the teenage son of a serial killer.  I read the 4 prequels to the main books.  In this one, it tells how G William caught Billy Dent, Jasper’s father.  It was an ok story.

13 ~ Career Day (Jasper Dent 0.5) by Barry Lyga
Completed 9/13
2 of 5 stars
               This one is a pretty dull short story about Career Day at school and Jasper being worried about who he will become.

14 ~ Neutral Mask (Jasper Dent 0.6) by Barry Lyga
Completed 9/13
3.5 of 5 stars
               This one was my favorite of the prequels.  It dealt with Jasper’s girlfriend and there was a neat scene they did in drama.

15 ~ Blood Boy (Jasper Dent 0.8) by Barry Lyga
Completed 9/13
2 of 5 stars
               This one was about Jasper’s best friend and I don’t care for the character, so it was boring to me.  Still ok I guess.

16 ~ Betrayal (Empty Coffin 02) by Gregg Olsen
Completed 9/16
3 of 5 stars
               A story based around Amanda Knox’s story.  A lot more annoying characters in this one.  The story itself and the character’s stunk, but Hailey and Taylor were always enjoyable.  Love them, and their story.

17 ~ Ajax Penumbra 1969 by Robin Sloan
Completed 9/16
3 of 5 stars
               A good novella about how Penumbra came to the 24 Hr Bookstore.  It was a good background and an enjoyable quick read.  Worth it, if you were a fan of the main book.

18 ~ On her Father’s Grave (Rogue River 01) by Kendra Elliot
Completed 9/17
4 of 5 stars
               This was an enjoyable ARC novella from an author I really enjoy.  In it, Stevie returns to her hometown to be near her family after her father dies.  She gets a job with the Sheriffs department and is called in early when a teen is found dead.  Really enjoyable book, and looking forward to more.

19 ~ Time’s Edge (Chronos Files 02) by Rysa Walker
Completed 9/19
4.5 of 5 stars
               Another ARC that was FANTASTIC!!  Loved it.  If you are a fan of time travel, and understand it to a degree, I highly recommend this series about a time traveling teen who is trying to stop changes that keep happening to the timeline.  Fantastic book!

20 ~ Long Gone (SEALS 07.5) by Marliss Melton
Completed 9/20
3.5 stars of 5
               An enjoyable short story about two characters from another series.  Was good to read, though I would have liked a full book for them.  It was enjoyable characters with a good story.

21 ~ The Yard (Murder Squad 01) by Alex Grecian
Completed 9/20
3 of 5 stars
               Victorian London, Scotland Yard is dealing with the Ripper, and now has new cases on their hands.  I enjoyed the later part of the book, took forever for me to get into.  Pretty ok over all, nothing great.  Some cooler stuff about the discovery of fingerprinting was pretty neat.

22 ~ Maze of Bones (39 Clues 01) by Rick Riordan
Completed 9/21
3 of 5 stars
               I started this series when it first came out, but didn’t keep up with them.  Going to go back through and finish the series by listening to the audio which are very quick reads.

23 ~ Festive in Death (Eve Duncan 38) by J.D. Robb
Completed 9/25
4 of 5 stars
               Another solid Eve Duncan story.  I’m still loving this series.  I love that she got involved in the prep of their holiday party, it was a new, and good, side to her.  As always, a fun read.

24 ~ Vault of Sins (Chaos Theory 02) by Sarah Harian
Completed 9/26
3.5 of 5 stars 
               The last 25% of this book was the best part.  The rest of it was too much sitting around talking and whining, which are reasons I normally hate New Adult.  I read the first and it was all action, not so with this one, no action til last 25%.  Still ok, but too much dullness.

25 ~ One False Note (39 Clues 02) by Gordon Korman 
Completed 9/26
3 of 5 stars 
               This book was the last one I read when they first came out.  I wanted to read the series, I just never got around to it, so I’m listening to them now.  They are ok.

26 ~ Burn (Michael Bennet 07) by James Patterson
Completed 9/30
3 of 5 stars 
               This series is one I'm still enjoying from Patterson.  I usually get tired of them after a while.  Another good solid book, though I didn't like part of the story.  Thankfully that part didn't last long.


What I posted in September


Books I Reviewed in September


My "It's Monday! What are you Reading?" posts ~


Tackle Your TBR RaT Updates ~

With Tackle Your TBR RaT, I ended with these stats ~

I completed 6 Challenges
I read for 53 Hours
I completed 19 books
I completed 22 comics (19 Arkham Chapters + 2 Warehouse 13 + 1 Resident Evil)
I read 3,898 pages (not including comics)
Books read were: 5 novels, 6 novellas & 5 short stories on my Kindle Fire
I listened to 3 novels audiobooks

Other bits of Randomness ~




2 comments:

  1. LOTS of green this month, eh? You did really well with finishing up a pile of challenges. Well done! I am SO falling behind on mine. Pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You still had a super amazing month for books! Happy October reading!

    ReplyDelete