photo KaKiJoKoJa_zps6827954d.gif
Karsyn's Kickass Jocoserious, Kooky, Jannock book blog: December Reading Log & Monthly Wrap-Up

Thursday, January 1, 2015

December Reading Log & Monthly Wrap-Up





New Color Coded Ratings
1   1.5   2   2.5 <---Bad  3 Great--->3.5 4 4.5 5
Good


01 ~ Empire of Gold (Chase & Wilde 07) by Andy McDermott
Completed 12/3
3 of 5 stars
Another wild story with Chase and Wilde.  This one goes from NY to England to Peru where they are in search for the city of El Dorado.  Still more questions when it comes to the statues that keep coming up.  Definitely some sadder parts in this book, some stuff was hard to listen to, but overall it was good.  This was the first audiobook since the 1st one without Gildart Jackson narrating, who I love and prefer, don’t like this guy doing it.

02 ~ The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett 02) by Cody McFadyen
Completed 12/3
4 of 5 stars
               Went back to this series, and this was yet another crazy book with some hard stuff to read, and craziness going on.  A girl is convinced that a serial killer has been killing anyone she considers her family her whole life.  She seeks out Smoky to try to get someone to believe her.  I did really like that the book cast social workers into a horrible light, I really liked that.  The characters are nuts, the killers are insane and everything is crazy in this books. 

03 ~ The Vipers Nest (39 Clues 07) by Peter Lerangis
Completed 12/4
3 of 5 stars
               Another running around saga with Amy and Dan.  It was enjoyable for what it is, a cute middle grade book.  In this one, they are going on to Africa and learning yet more about their family and the branch that they belong in.  They are starting to get some answers and they don’t like them.  

04 ~ Enclave (Razorland 01) by Ann Aguirre
Completed 12/4
3.5 of 5 stars
               I put off this book for a while, as I wasn’t sure if I would like it.  While I didn’t LOVE it, I did really enjoy it and I’m glad that I finally read it.  In it, Deuce has grown up in the tunnels of NYC.  The world above has been destroyed by war, or so she’s been told, and there are creatures roaming the tunnels.  She’s exiled from everything she’s known with one other person.  Good characters and good story.

05 ~ Outpost (Razorland 02) by Ann Aguirre
Completed 12/5
3 of 5 stars
               In the 2nd book, Deuce finds out more about the world and what all she’s been missing out on.  They are safe for a while, but she doesn’t like how she has to live and she’s restless.  I definitely didn’t enjoy this one as much.  While I understand Deuce has been sheltered and doesn’t understand much, there was some things she was overly stupid about and Fade was an idiot as well.

06 ~ The Witch Must Burn (Dorothy Must Die 00.2) by Danielle Paige
Complete 12/7
3 of 5 stars
               This book was more behind the scenes of the overall story and was told by Jellica’s point of view.  I’m really not a novella fan, for the most part, but this one wasn’t bad.  I would have liked it more as a full story, but how it was told it wouldn’t have worked well that way, so it did work well for how it was written.  It was enjoyable.

07 ~ The Naughty List by Jodi Redford
Completed 12/7
2 of 5 stars
               A typical erotica, and like always, I won’t give details here about that.  I think I’m getting tired of erotica, they are just all the same and they all piss me off.  :/

08 ~ Horde (Razorland 03) by Ann Aguirre
Completed 12/8
4 of 5
               The finale of the Razorland series, this was my favorite one, even better than the first for me.  This one was a ton of action and a lot going on.  It was the right mix of hopelessness to things finally getting turned around for them to a great ending that wrapped things up wonderfully.  I’m definitely glad I listened to the series, it was a good one over all.

09  ~ Down and Dirty (J.J. Graves 04) by Liliana Hart
Completed 12/8
3.5 of 5 stars
               Just a few days away from the wedding and JJ and Jack are caught up in trying to determine who set fire to a house with 5 people inside and why it was that none of them were able to get out in time.  The actual murder and the investigation were good, but then it goes from investigating to done REAL quick and then the wedding is over and it’s like WHAT?  It was WAY WAY WAY too rushed at the end, disappointing really.

10 ~ Crewel (Crewel World 01) by Gennifer Albin
Completed 12/11
3.5 of 5 stars
               I’ve been reading some time traveling books, so decided to try this one, and that definitely wasn’t what this was about.  Adelice is able to weave time and matter, but it’s done to create the world around them, not to travel through time or anything, though she can stop a small bubble of time.  The story with the weaving and her skill, I enjoyed.  The girlie stuff, them trying to control her, and especially one of the guys ~ Cormac ~ I hated.  Will try the next one.

11 ~ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JKR
Completed 12/14
4.5 of 5 stars
               My continued re-read of HP by listening to Stephen Fry.  OotP is my least favorite of the series, I really really hate Umbridge, and I think that Dumbledore was wrong to keep Harry in the dark and I hate what happened to Sirius and I dislike Cho….. but still it’s freaking HP so it’s still a great book.

12 ~ One Wish (Thunder Point 07) by Robyn Carr
Completed 12/15
3.5 of 5 stars
               This next book in the Thunder Point series isn’t published until Feb, but I got to get my hands on a copy from NetGalley.  In this one, Grace and Troy, two characters who are friends that we met before, are finding more in a relationship than just friends.  I had a hard time with rating this one, and only rated down to a 3.5 because of personal views of some of the things in the story, otherwise, it was another great TP book.

13 ~ Rotate the Earth by Bryan Alaspa
Completed 12/15
1 of 5 stars
               I could rant on and on about this book, I’ll try to make this short.  I was contacted by the publisher to read this book.  The book is said to be about a cross country race in which cars are decked out with guns and missiles and it’s a race to the finish or death.  It sounds crazy.  The first 14% of this book is a little talking and an illegal race set before THE Race.  Then, it just halts.  It’s about each drivers, so each new chapter goes back to the point after the illegal race ended and we learn another point of view.  But the WORSE thing about this STUPID book that is about “THE RACE” is that the book ENDS with THE Race STARTING!!!!  WHAT?!?!?!  I was NOT pleased.  I LOVED the first 14% of this book, the rest was garbage and as much as I would have loved to read about the race that I thought was in the first book, I will NOT read the 2nd book just to read about it.  UGH.  Rant over.

14 ~ Game (Game 01) by Anders Motte
Completed 12/17
4 of 5 stars
               I saw this book as an option on someone’s TBR Poll that I take part in and I thought that I needed to read it for myself.  In this on, HP finds a cell phone and is invited to play a game.  This game runs from harmless pranks (taking someone’s umbrella) to vandalism, to some more serious things.  HP is running around Sweden doing these crazy tasks and loving it, until his actions have personal consequences.  It was a really fast pace enjoyable book, and I couldn’t wait to get started on the second one for more crazy action as they try to find out who is behind the game.

15 ~ Buzz (Game 02) by Anders Motte
Completed 12/18
1.5 of 5 stars
               And OMG what a let down!!  It went from almost non-stop action to HP writing on a blog for chapters and chapters and chapters.  He’s sitting there, writing a blog?!  It was a complete turn around from the first book, written completely different, it didn’t even seem like the same style or anything.  I couldn’t take it, and I ended up skimming the rest at 62%.  I just couldn’t suffer anymore.  Was not pleased, and didn’t read the 3rd book. 

16 ~ Return to Atlantis (Chase & Wild 08) by Andy McDermott
Completed 12/19
3 of 5 stars
               One of the more crazier ones, this one is nuts because Chase and Wilde are in two different locations for parts of this book but their paths kept intersecting.  They are finally getting all the answers they need for the underlining statues plot and it’s bigger and crazier than they thought.  This book was really nuts, all kinds of crazy action.  It was great. 

17 ~ New Year Island by Paul Draker
Completed 12/23
4.5 of 5 stars
               This 724 page book took me a little while to complete.  I actually worked on this one off and on for 5 days and finally just made myself sit and not get up until I finished the last 40% of it.  This was a really good and different book.  It was about 10 people who are put on an island for what they are told is a reality tv show.  They are given tasks to do, but things soon turn serious, then deadly.  It’s a CRAZY book with crazy characters and so much twists and turns.  I saw about 80% of the stuff that was coming but there were a few things that surprised me.  Overall, quite enjoyable.

18 ~ The Valhalla Prophecy (Chase & Wilde 09) by Andy McDermott
Completed 12/26
3 of 5 stars
               In this one, Chase and Wilde are on the search for a deadly toxin that Chase has seen before in his past.  He hides some things from Nina and the book is spent going back and forth between the present for them, and 8 years ago for him.  I didn’t like the back and forth.  Though it did tell the story well and what was going on, it took away from the present and just wasn’t as enjoyable for me.  The end was interesting though. 

19 ~ Altered (Crewel World 02) by Gennifer Albin
Completed 12/27
3.5 of 5 stars
               I liked this one better than the first, all the way until the end.  Then, I thought she didn’t do everything she should have done, which for the author left a ton of drama for the 3rd book but felt wrong to me.  I liked all the stuff they did on the surface, even though the stuff with the boys was quite wishy washy.  It was overall really good but I do wish that it had ended differently.

20 ~ Fire & Flood (Race 01) by Victoria Scott
Completed 12/29
4.5 of 5 stars
               In this one, Tella joins a race across different ecosystems to try to win a cure for her brother who is very ill.   The race is dangerous and Tella has no idea what she is getting into, and isn’t the sort of person you would normally see take on something like that, but I think that was part of what I liked about her.  She wasn’t strong, wasn’t too smart, is just determined.  I really enjoyed the book and look forward to the next one.

21 ~ Unraveled (Crewel World 03) by Gennifer Albin
Completed 12/29
2.5 of 5 stars
               My least favorite of the 3, I think because from the start I felt like she made the wrong choice and so everything was off.  Nothing gelled together well, there was just drama for the sake of drama.  If she had done what she did near the end of this one, at the end of the last one, then things would have been better and it would have just been a matter of her convincing everyone and making things happen, but no, there had to be drama and it wasn’t enjoyable for me.

22 ~ The Wells Bequest (Grimm Legacy 02) by Polly Shulman
Completed 12/30
3.5 of 5 stars
               This is the sequel to a book I read earlier in the year and is set a few years after that book.  In this one Leo experiences seeing himself visit him on a time machine and in miniature form as well.  The story is cute with how he find himself getting to the point where he takes the time machine.  It was a cute and enjoyable story and fun to listen to for a quick read.

23 ~ Legendarium by Michael Bunker
Completed 12/31
2.5 of 5 stars
               This was a short book I read just to have one more book on the year.  It was quite different.  It was two guys, who disliked each other, trying to save the world from influences from books.  It was really different, with talk of zombie authors and ghosts of authors appearing.  It really didn’t make much sense at all, but ok for a quick listen.  It was my 310th book of the year.  Ready to start all over tomorrow for the New Year.  :)



What I posted in December


Books I Reviewed in December


My "Month of Favorites" posts ~


My "Top 10 of 2014" posts ~


Other bits of Randomness ~





1 comment:

  1. I loved Enclave but still need to read Outpost.
    Loved Crewel too, but still need to read Alter.
    You had a great month for books! Happy 2015 reading!

    ReplyDelete